Saturday, July 17, 2010

The marriage scare

My wife is snoozing on the chaise-lounge. I'm on the floor with her laptop because mine is out of commission. It's drying out from the lime juice my darling wife so graciously bestowed on it.

Ironically, I made it for her.

But every now and then, I look at her and can't help smiling. I really enjoy being married to her. It's so easy and it's good fun and I wonder why there is so much fear when people think of getting married.

Okay, I have to admit that divorce rates are going through the roof and many married folks have extra-marital affairs - or just can't stand each other and live together just for the kids. I also know, it's an extra-long term project!

But I think if the basics are in place, marriages would not be so scary.

1. Know thy partner
2. Accept thy partner without thinking your partner will change.
3. If you cannot stand your partner before marriage, change your partner. (Yup!)
4. Do not tie your worth to your partner. It helps you enjoy your relationship more.

Okay. That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. "Know thy partner". I think that is a hard one. How well can you know someone before taking the plunge? Surprises always turn up later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW.

    I just saw this comment in 2011!

    To 'know thy partner' , you should allow for two things - time and scenarios.

    Time peels away masks...naturally
    and seeing how a date reacts under different scenarios gives you an insight into what the person will be like as a partner

    And then, follow your intuition

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete